As an accredited member of the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF), McAfee Academy is licensed by the Virginia Department of Education to offer both regular education and special education services. Special education teachers work closely with home school divisions in developing individual education programs (IEPs), continuing the appropriate course work needed for graduation, and assigning academic credits.
Course work includes science, social studies, language arts, math, elective, and physical education. Each student’s course work is dictated by his or her referring school division. Grades are awarded based on assigned coursework, class participation, testing, and attendance. Credits are awarded based on successful completion of necessary coursework. SOL testing is facilitated at Hallmark Youthcare with the assistance of the student’s LEA (Local Education Agency).
- Certified Lifeguard Physical Education Teacher with swimming lesson during pool season.
- Focus on SOL Standards
- Single Gender Classrooms
- 5 ½ hour school day
- School year is comprised of four academic quarters and a summer enrichment session
- Grades are reported at 5 week intervals with Report Cards at 10 weeks
- Opportunities for tutoring for those who desire or need extra help with assignments.
- Google Classroom
- Chromebooks with Virtual Textbooks
- Elective Include: Study Skills, Classic Literature, Anatomy, Math Enrichment, Life Skills, Horticulture.
Families are encouraged to be an active part in the education process.